[plug] NT and Linux coexisting

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Oct 13 04:28:31 WST 1999

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Christian wrote:
>
> > a) what type should I make the partition I'm going to put it on?
>
> NTFS, unless you really want to write to it from Linux, then you could use
> vfat, with loss of security etc.  Remember to always create a partition
> with the OS that will use it. ie dont use linux to create the NT
> partition.

I installed NT4 about three weeks ago; I don't recall a VFAT option. NTFS
is sensible, and Linux DOES have readwrite to HPFS.

> > b) will NT damage other partitions on the same disk? (none of them are
> > "root" partitions except for an OpenBSD partition which I can easily
> > reinstall.)
>
> Shouldnt do, but installing any OS is a risk. Backup first.

Its disk manager has odd ideas about the world, but in my experience it's
only damaged itself.

> > c) will NT touch other partitions on other disks? (except for the MBR
> > which I can relilo) If there's any risk of it damaging my main Linux
> > partition then I might wait until after uni is finished...

It didn't actually damage anything else, but it can make it difficult to
boot your choice. However, it IS documented wrt OS/2, and so's the MS
solution: run the disk manager to make the correct partition bootable. In
your case, lilo's the way to go.

NT left my Linux alone. A couple of warnings:
1	If you have a network card with I/O address 0x340, remove it. Reinstall
it once NT's installed.
2	I'm not at all sure installs to extended partitions; I've always put it
in primaries.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield