[plug] NT and Linux coexisting

Chris Maidorn maidorn at eisa.net.au
Wed Oct 13 01:49:29 WST 1999

Off the subject a bit, I have a linux and an NT box networked at home, I
haven't come close to fully utilising either. I have no way of backing up
information (I am too cheap to buy a zip drive) apart from using the hard
drive of the other machine (the way I look at it you would have to be pretty
unlucky to have both machines go down at once). Whilst testing my ideas I
have come across one problem, windows zip files that I save on to linux hdd
seem to get corrupted. They are unable to be read while on linux hdd or when
copied back to NTFS. Other types of files copied to ext2 do not seem to
suffer from this problem regardless of whether they are accessed from ext2
or ntfs, or  when they are copied back to the original media. ( I use Samba
and have no probs copying files from one pc to the other etc.)

Another question is for people who use eisa (not great service, but I will
not complain about 5 free hours a month and 1$ per hour from then onwards)
as their ISP.  Since (recently) installing linux I have been unable to use
eisa to connect to the internet using Linux. I have had no probs using iinet
and onenet, and I have had no probs using eisa with NT.  (P.S. I have set up
iinet and onenet using kppp). Any help would be appreciated.