[plug] NT and Linux coexisting (Eisa)

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Wed Oct 13 15:51:35 WST 1999

Chris

Eisa most likely arent allocating your local ip in a way that linux
understands. I had this problem with another ISP (who shall remain
nameless). What this means is that you can specify any ip to use as a
local ip. Unfortunately if you choose an ip that is in use, or one that
is not of the correct subnet then tcp/ip traffic wont route properly. At
the moment linux will be allocating the same ip that you use for eth0 or
similar. Use NT to connect to Eisa, note the PPP local ip allocated to
you, boot back to linux and tell pppd to use that same IP as the local
IP, and see how you go (This is not a solution, only a diagnostic
effort).

I think this is a security hole. In theory you could allocate for
yourself a trusted IP (one that Eisa have assumed to be trusted), and
then make use of that trust to do bad things. After our testing, if this
is the case then you should notify Eisa.

Garth