[plug] NT and Linux coexisting

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Oct 13 10:10:54 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Christian wrote:
>
> > a) what type should I make the partition I'm going to put it on?
>
> NTFS, unless you really want to write to it from Linux, then you could use
> vfat, with loss of security etc.  Remember to always create a partition
> with the OS that will use it. ie dont use linux to create the NT
> partition.

Yeah, I don't really care about being able to access it from Linux - if
I really need to transfer stuff between the two I can do that over the
network.  As for the partition type, do you mean that I should just
leave it as "free space" and let NT mark the partition type and make the
filesystem itself?  I can't find any NT/NTFS partition type under cfdisk
so I guess I don't have many options too.

> > I'm also planning to use LILO to boot NT - has anyone had any problems
> > with this?  Someone said to me that they thought you couldn't boot NT
> > using LILO if you were using NTFS - anyone know anything about this?
>
> No problem. You can put LILO on the MBR, and get it to call the NT loader,
> or get the NT loader to call LILO. Check the HOWTOs, or call me.

Ok, thanks. :)  Thanks also to John for his tips.

Regards,

Christian.

--
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.