[plug] recommendations for new high end system (dual cpu)

Jon L. Miller jlmiller at wantree.com.au
Wed Oct 13 16:42:35 WST 1999

Since I've used mainly AMD for business systems and PII/III for High end
systems, I find the combination of AMD, EPoX or GigaByte, 128MB SDRAM
PC-100 and the Titan 5000 to be a good solid choice.  The question you
need to ask is what do you plan to do with the Linux box.  Also there is
a fix for the BIOS from EPoX to fix a minor problem when shutting down
the system it would do a OOPs after dismounting the drive(s).
Adaptec is by far the more popular and maybe the best in SCSI controllers
and EPoX has a board with this controller on it (check out
http://www.epox.com/products/mboard/61bxbs_1.html).