[plug] eth0 and ppp

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 13 20:37:54 WST 1999

"Jon L. Miller" wrote:

> I'm wondering if what Len meant was that irq 9 cascades irq 2, because of
> this we are told to stay away if possible from irq 9 especially when
> using nics. Mainly because it can be sporadic.
> See : http://www.gerbervm.com/support/fastfacts/3023.htm
>
> Jon

Yes that is what I meant, simply put you need to make your Modem Connection
IRQ3 and then find out which IRQs are available for the Ethernet Card.
Usually you can get up to IRQs 10-11 or 15 which the Ethernet Cards should
support. Alternatively however, IF you have a relatively new Main Board with
USB support, the Mouse input is no longer on COM-1 and IRQ-4 which means that
you have this as an alternative for your Modem Connection. I know from
experience that if both Ethernet and Serial Ports use the same IRQ neither
will function at all. DOS does support shared Interrupts provided that the
resources are not called together, OS/2 will not accept shared IRQs at all, I
do not know the situation with Linux, perhaps John Summerfield can answer
that,

Cheers ,

Len Bird