[plug] eth0 and ppp

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Oct 13 21:39:42 WST 1999

> Yes that is what I meant, simply put you need to make your Modem Connection
> IRQ3 and then find out which IRQs are available for the Ethernet Card.
> Usually you can get up to IRQs 10-11 or 15 which the Ethernet Cards should

IRQ 15 is often firmly attached to EIDE1

> support. Alternatively however, IF you have a relatively new Main Board with
> USB support, the Mouse input is no longer on COM-1 and IRQ-4 which means that
> you have this as an alternative for your Modem Connection. I know from
> experience that if both Ethernet and Serial Ports use the same IRQ neither
> will function at all. DOS does support shared Interrupts provided that the
> resources are not called together, OS/2 will not accept shared IRQs at all, I
> do not know the situation with Linux, perhaps John Summerfield can answer

OS/2 just doesn't notice; it can work (for a while - like until the second
user kicks in).

Linux I think does notice and tries to work around it. best, though, to
avoid them - a likely source of trouble.

There are some multiport serial boards that use a single IRQ; those are
fine because they use a chip that is two or four 16550A ICs in a single
package and one IRQ. Check OS/2 ftp sites for a package called SIO. While
the driver doesn't work on Linux, the accompanying documentation is worth
the trouble.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield