[plug] a file without a name

Luigi Cantoni lui at stm0001.dialix.oz.au
Thu Oct 14 10:50:44 WST 1999

> Anybody know how to find out what a file is named if in ls it shows up with all data except the filename?
>
> ls -b   shows it as being named \177, but I can't find out anything more about the file with cat, or more, or vi.  Also 'file *' shows this file as the last entry in the list, with a : and no further data.
> Thanks,
> Tamara
The file name is the delete character.
you may find things like vi ? will work.
It will vi all single character names and this file is a single
character name so it should do it. You can use the same trick
to delete it (warning you may need -i to not delete other files).
There are several other ways but this one should work.
--
Thanks Luigi