[plug] Outlook

Matt Bruce Matt.Bruce at alphawest.com.au
Thu Oct 14 14:04:17 WST 1999

Chris,

Unfortunately there's no "Outlook for Linux", which is a pain for your
situation, but there are a few options open to you:

1. You could get your company to install/configure Outlook Web Access,
   which will enable users to go to a specified URL, say
   http://www.power.net.au/olwa/, enter in the relevant information
   in the resulting username and password prompt, then be presented
   with a HTML/Java version of the Outlook client via your web
   browser -- complete with Inbox, Folders, Tasks, Calendar, etc.

2. Forget about non-email stuff, and just use an IMAP-aware mail
   client (such as Pine or Balsa, I believe).

3. Again, forget about non-email stuff, get your company sysadmin
   to install the POP3 support into Exchange, and use a POP3-aware
   mail client (just about any mail client ever made).

4. Get your company to spend umpteen thousands on a Citrix MetaFrame
   solution and a VPN and/or RAS solution, install the ICA Client on
   your PC and connect to the MetaFrame server and have complete
   network access and remote display/control.

5. Install VNC on your work PC or an Internet-live server in your
   network, and connect to it with the VNC Client. There are SSH-
   and SSL-aware versions of VNC available. I use it under certain
   (secure) situations, and it serves its purpose perfectly.

6. Drop a server-based Rules Wizard/Inbox Assistant entry in your
   Outlook client to send a copy of any incoming email to another
   email address (private ISP, Hotmail, whatever), then you can
   retrieve your email that way.

7. Drive to work or wait until work on Monday and save everybody a
   lot of hassle. ;)

Bear in mind the above points don't consider security, firewalling or
masquerading/NAT issues. As I've no idea of your network topology, the above
is just a bunch of ideas that may or may not apply (or be advisable) in your
situation. I access mine using one or more of the above, depending on whom
I'm dialled into.

HTH, :)

--
Matt Bruce  <matt.bruce at alphawest.com.au>