[plug] Editors

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 15 12:12:17 WST 1999

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 11:55:47AM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Gavin Tweedie wrote:
>
> > So of those of you who use vi or a clone, which do you use and
> > why?
>
> I use vim, because it has split-screen support (for the same file,
> or multiple files), multi level undo (and redo), the ability to
> highlight text, and then perform an operation on that text, and the
> fact it's real easy to "record" keystrokes, and then play them back.

<rabidadvocacy>Vim rules!!!!</rabidadvocacy>

Seriously though, without undue prejudice to the many fine
vi-clone/extensions out there (elvis, nvi, vile, etc.) vim would have
to be the most powerful/popular/featureful/etcetera.

As far as I can tell, Vim is the most popular editor on comp.editors
by a fair margin, and it's for a good reason. Also, if you lend any
credence to them, the Linuxworld awards gave Vim second place in the
"Editors" category behind Emacs.

Have a look at http://www.vim.org/press/ for other miscellaneous
articles/propaganda/advocacy on Vim.

>  - Matt

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
OLD WOMAN: Well, how did you become king, then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite,