Understanding Unix, was Re: [plug] Cron scheduling

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Oct 15 19:36:39 WST 1999

> > > apropos 1
> >
> > No neophyte would think of that either.
>
> I think i see the problem here. You are making one huge assumption
> that unix is intended for a "Complete Idiot" who sits down to use it.

Don't be insulting.  I've hardly used Windows at all; no use comparing
that with Linux.

However, i have used an assortment of computers over three decades. Most
modern sstems are designed to be easy to use. There's a good reason for
that; time learned using a computer is unproductive; unproductivity wastes
employers' money.

>   Unlike with Windoze, that assumption is totally wrong. You must rethink
> the situation a little. As a start, assume any linux user should get
> a "Begin Linux" book. The APC pocketbook might make a good base point.

The assumption ought not be wrong. Linux has many advantages over most
other operating systems. However, it does NOT have to be difficult to use.
It's particularly stupid that error messages are often logged and not
displayed to the user. Error messages are often wrong - I've seen bus
errors on hardware that does not produce them. I't one of several ways
Linux has of (not) telling you you're out of virtual|real memory. Another
is "error loading interpreter," reported to syslog but not to the user.

I want to USE my computer. I don't want to spend half my time figuring HOW
to use it, or why something didn't work, or to think it did when it
didn't, and I don't want to be interrupted by other family members to help
them use the computer.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield