Understanding Unix, was Re: [plug] Cron scheduling

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 15 10:28:49 WST 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, John Summerfield wrote:

> > John Summerfield wrote:
> >
> > > There are problems with Linux (and Unix in general) documentation;
> > >         There's no good summary of what commands exist
> >
> > apropos 1
>
> No neophyte would think of that either.

I think i see the problem here. You are making one huge assumption
that unix is intended for a "Complete Idiot" who sits down to use it.
  Unlike with Windoze, that assumption is totally wrong. You must rethink
the situation a little. As a start, assume any linux user should get
a "Begin Linux" book. The APC pocketbook might make a good base point.

  Further, Unix prefers ease-of-use to ease-of-learning. Many windoze
users confuse these two concepts.

  If Linux is made too easy for the clueless to install and run without
reading _any_ manual, then lists like this will see lots of stupid
questions from people too lazy to read the manuals.
  This may have already happened.

> No neophyte would think of that either.

Arrgh! Its not telepathy. Learn by reading.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--