[plug] [Fwd: (Fwd) Forgotten Password]

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 16 00:38:58 WST 1999

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 02:24:18AM +0800, Garth Atkinson wrote:
[...]
> the merits of the choices. Bliss. I chose one called tomsrbt. It lets
> you NFS mount (or share) stuff. It also has about 40 well used utilities
> that might be required in a resuce scenario. And it has very good
> hardware support compiled in and using modules, you can extend this. All
> in all, a very pleasant experience.
>
> Garth

tomsrtbt is very good. It even has emacs! (Well, a <ahem> slightly cut
down version, anyway)

There's also the Debian boot/root/rescue disc, or a bootable Debian CD.
Start it up, then switch to virtual console 2 (or choose "exec a shell"
from the menu) after mounting your root filing system. I've used a recent
Redhat CD as well for the same job, but I had to mknod my own device file.

However you get the system up, once you've mounted the filesystem you
can go in and edit the passwd or shadow file.

Personally, I usually find myself resorting to this sort of thing because
something's killed LILO, eg me shuffling hard discs around or installing
other OSes. To fix things, I use ;

	lilo -v -r /target

where the filesystem is mounted under /target.

If you need to run a utility which requires the libraries on your
filesystem, use something like ;

	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/target/lib:/target/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	/target/usr/bin/utility

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal