[plug] [Fwd: (Fwd) Forgotten Password]

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Oct 15 19:48:01 WST 1999

> navarre at omen.com.au wrote:
> >
> > Hello Leon
> >
> > I tried sending this to the list but either the list server is not working
> > or it rejected my message because I sent it fom my work rather
> > that home.
> >
> > I have a Debian system not used for several months that I have
> > forgotten the root password and I would like to find it.
> >
> > The system boots from floppy, Lilo being overwritten during a
> > primary HDD upgrade, Linux is on HDB. I have one valid user login,
> > and it works, so I can run programs/ scripts and have telnet and a
> > second linux box on the network (all password are known on this
> > box, also Debian). I have tried , about fours hours worth, to
> > remember/ second guess the password I used. I have an idea that
> > it is six to eight alphanumeric with at least one special character.
> >
> > I would consider a brute force test every combination method if
> > some one has one.

Assuming a lilo prompt;
	linux init=/bin/bash
will get you in. Then edit /etc/passwd (or shadow) using your favourite vi.

You may need to do a mount or two.

If you lack lilo, then an install disk may do as well.

If the 'puter doesn't understand 'linux" then the tab ke will get it to
tell you what it does understand.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield