[plug] [Fwd: (Fwd) Forgotten Password]

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Oct 17 07:49:55 WST 1999

> Spot on. As I only use Caldera releases I thought it quite normal that
> single user mode requires a password. Tonight I checked COL
> 1.1,1.2,1.3,2.2 and 2.3 and they all launch sulogin in runlevel 1. Any
> distribution that allows full root access without a password after
> booting in single user mode should be taken outside and shot.

Unless it also disables
linix init=/bin/bash

there's not a lot of point in sulogin; I'm not sure there IS anyway. To
reboot, you need physical access, Once you have that, there's nothing to
stop one from rebooting from floppy; even BIOS protection can be overcome
by opening the box and resetting it or removing the drives.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield