[plug] Editors

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Oct 17 09:46:12 WST 1999

> Peter Wright wrote:

> VI is terrible gvim is far better - but these days i usually use custom
> specific editors like wpe, kwrite
> mcedit - staroffice etc
> I'ts unfortunate that many mnuals for unix give the impression that vi
> is the only editor available
> so along comes a new or novice user and confronted with vi is totally
> put off using unix at all.
> I would never reccomended vi to anyone- i may suggest gvim caus it
> finally addressed the needs
> of novice users ( easy to use with gui ).

It has to be installed before you can use it, and so does its environment.
A while ago I had to fall back on ed because vim wasn't installed.

I've not used wpe; kwrite is a bit basic for my taste. Ditto the gnome
editors. Staroffice isn't installed here, so you couldn't use that. Ditto
mcedit.

It's true that vi (and vim) is hard to learn; I bought a book to help.
However, the fact that it can be scripted adds much in its favour. I often
use vim over a modem connexion; the way O overwork my modem, using gvim
would be extremely painful.

I also find all the text editors that come with Windows next to useless;-)

--
Cheers
John Summerfield