[plug] VI (the Editor)

lloy0076 lloy0076 at senet.com.au
Sun Oct 17 10:23:35 WST 1999

Hi!

The main reason why unix books teach vi is because you can normally
guarantee that vi exists. Furthermore whilst vi does have its own
sometimes annoying idiosyncrasies it is a very good editor once gotten
used to. I agree that there are some more user friendly editors around
such as pico and to a certain extent emacs if you can work out what the
hell a buffer, but if you're like me and have an ability to remember
arcane sequences of commands and type extremely faster nothing beats vi.

It always seems to be the case that if you type fast you can beat a GUI
type application most of the time and vi in my case is one of these
occasions.

DL