[plug] re; Network filtering

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 09:11:45 WST 1999

I currently use "swatch" to monitor the squid access.log file.  The downside
of this is that it squid only records an item in it's log file AFTER pulling
it down over the 'net.

I am also experiementing with squidGuard
(http://info.ost.eltele.no/freeware/squidGuard/) that uses squids redirector
functionality as a filter.  The only downside to it is there is no
functionality for it to notify someone via an email or similar method of an
attempted breach (functionality I require being in a school environment).
The good news is that being GPL there is no reason why one couldn't add this
functionity into it.... I just have to brush up on my C a little more first.

I would be very interested to know what solution you end up using, how it
performs etc.

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager
Kingsway Christian College