[plug] Linux is out, for now.

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon Oct 18 09:43:55 WST 1999

Joel - wrote:

> Wise words from Rick indeed.
> Those people are trying to run linux, but cant tell you why they actually
> "are" running linux probably shouldn't be using it at all. It is true that

In some ways I agree with you, but mostly I don't.  When I started
running Linux I did have a very practical reason but I also knew that it
would be a valuable experience if I persevered although I couldn't
really have explained why.  Now I can see and explain the reason why I
did and I understand why Unix users in general and Linux users in
particular are so enthusiastic about the system they use - it is simply
better.  Unfortunately a lot of people won't get to discover this if
they don't try it.

I think success in running Linux comes more in the attitude towards
learning than in having an initial reason to use the system.  As an
example...

I met someone on IRC a few years ago who'd only been using computers for
just over a month.  She came into the #linux channel and asked me what
it was all about.  I explained as best I could and told her some web
sites she could find some more information.  I later found out that a
few days later she had downloaded a copy of Slackware, repartitioned her
drive and installed it all by herself.  She then read the PPP HOWTO,
wrote the dialup scripts she needed, connected to the Internet and came
back on IRC to ask me what she should do next!  She barely understood
what a different operating system was, let alone why she needed one, but
last I heard she had set up a small network of computers at home all
running off a Linux server and was trying to configure squid to cut down
her family's downloading requirements.  She was someone without a need
of the power of Linux but still someone who benefitted from it.  Oh
yeah, and when I first met her, she was about 14.

Regards,

Christian.

--
Stone's Law:
	One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"