[plug] Linux is out, for now.

Darrell Horrocks darrellh at kpbg.wa.gov.au
Mon Oct 18 11:46:21 WST 1999

Hi All

THought that I would add some more food for thought (not that it cost more than
$0.02).

Christian wrote:

> Joel - wrote:
> >
> > Wise words from Rick indeed.
> > Those people are trying to run linux, but cant tell you why they actually
> > "are" running linux probably shouldn't be using it at all. It is true that
>
> In some ways I agree with you, but mostly I don't.  When I started
> running Linux I did have a very practical reason but I also knew that it
> would be a valuable experience if I persevered although I couldn't
> really have explained why.  Now I can see and explain the reason why I
> did and I understand why Unix users in general and Linux users in
> particular are so enthusiastic about the system they use - it is simply
> better.  Unfortunately a lot of people won't get to discover this if
> they don't try it.

Yes.  I will have to agree.  Most people have no problem installing freeware on
a Windows platform, and it is interesting to think of Linux as _THE_ extreme
case of freeware, where you replace the OS.  It just depends if you want to try
something new.

> I think success in running Linux comes more in the attitude towards
> learning than in having an initial reason to use the system.  As an
> example...

Gotta agree.  You have to accept a new mindset.  And it is not for everybody.
My fiancé (who is  v. computer literate) always berates me for tinkering.  But
then she swears by MS word.  That's why I have to get VMWARE to work ;-)  Except
I have to get new processor (why does everything hate Cyrix <SIGH>)

<snip example>

I think that there is a certain level of background knowledge that you need.
And rather than this being linux specific, this is mainly because it is a
command line interface rather than a GUI.  You can't just play on a command
line, or even find help, because you need to learn the commands to GET that
help.  After all, it isn't just linux.  Give most people a DOS box and they will
stumble as much as on a linux box (what do you mean I can't click and drag ;-) )

As an example of background knowledge, take the command ls.  It is just
fortunate on the RH dists that the dir command also works, otherwise people
would have no idea.  And you DO need to know this before you start to use
linux.  Sure you can use man ls to get what it does, but you have to KNOW what
it is called.  And it is this knowledge that stops newcomers using linux.  If I
hadn't had to learn unix at uni, I no doubt would have given up, as a previous
person has done.

My interest is trying to get linux onto the desktop.  KDE is what I am
roadtesting at the moment, but Gnome isn't too far away.  And the idea of a
package (aka install) is vital to avoid going to a prompt.  I know this is
heresy to those gurus out there, but people are just too used to a GUI for
everything.  Even pulling up a DOS box under windows is too hard for most.

So as an advocate for linux, I think that the tutoring role has to be toned down
one stop.  And BASIC commands have to be taught, or recommend an online HOWTO
command line (is there one?).

There is a good joke file about this.......OSAir.  I wonder if anyone has it ;-)

Be of good cheer

Darrell Horrocks