[plug] ipchains

russ russ at powerstech.com
Wed Oct 20 11:22:06 WST 1999

Hi,

This machine provides the ppp link to the internet for my network. I
was using ipfwadm to allow the other machines to access the internet.
It worked fine without any problems

I just upgraded from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.10. When I tried:

russ > ipfwadm -F -p deny
  ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument

russ > ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.1/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0
  ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument

I poked around for a while and read somewhere that ipchains was the
go. So I got the ipchains howto and did what it said:

russ > ipchains -P forward DENY
russ > ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.1/32 -d 0.0.0.0/0

And that worked. :)

I shut down my computers last night, started them up this morning, and
the other machines on the network can't access the internet.

russ > ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains can only set policy in built-in chain

russ > ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.1/32 -d 0.0.0.0/0
ipchains no target by that name

So I re-installed ipfwadm. Tried it, got the same error messages, then
tried ipchains and now it works?

Does ipchains need ipfwadm? Does ipfwadm enable something that
ipchains needs?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
russ