[plug] Debian V Redhat for server

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Oct 20 14:26:16 WST 1999

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Greg Raftery wrote:

> Im after some opinions for which distribution to install for a server.
> I am considering Redhat for its purported ease of use and because it
> is a relatively no-brainer install. But I have heard good things about
> Debian on this list, but I know it will take me a bit longer to
> install.
>
> My major concern would be the installation of software, where most
> packages seem to be aimed at installation on a Redhat box. Is there
> much grief associated with installing software on Debian that is aimed
> at Redhat?
>
> Thoughts, comments?

Firstly Greg duck .... you may have started a flame war. :)

I use RedHat it is easy to install BUT it really likes "new" hardware PII's
etc etc.  It does work on earlier Pentiums and 486's BUT th einstallation is
geared towards an enret level machine in the states.

Most pf the packages that come with RedHat 6.1 are okay.  They're aimed at a
home user and tend to be configured for that.

Sendmail is "quite" easy to modify to act as a mail server for a LAN
Apcache is pretty good and you can install ssh/apacge+mod_ssl with ease.

The major issue with RedHat is it's after install packagemanagement.  The is
little or no cohesion.  If you say "rpm -i enlightenment-0.16.0-1.i386.rpm"
to install the "latest" version of enlightemnet you are like to get errors
about un-statisfied dependencies missing files and other niceties :)

RedHat are starting to address this with rpm2html and rpmfind and gnorpm.
AFAICT RedHat are still behind debian with package management.  I don't think
the new utils/protocols for rpmfind are good enough to work well.

Now I get outta my leaguw so some of this MAY be wrong BUT I'm suer others
like Christain and Matt will point out my errors.

It's my understanding debians _new_ (??) packcage manager/installet (apt)
will grab ALL unstatisfied dependencies and install them as well.  You can
easily tell apt where to get things from by editeing the "/etc/sources.list"
(??) to point it at your nearest WAIX mirror for the stuff you need.

Working out which distro to use is based mostly on personal prefference and
availability.  Both RedHat and debain will have the same software available
it's just a matter of finding it.   Another "pro" for debian is "alien" which
will quite happily install an rpm, althought the compatability of the rpm
witha debian system will vary.

I'm sure I just got several sites set on me, and thoughly confused the already
muddy waters But that's my 2 cents worth.

Yours Tony.