[plug] Debian V Redhat for server

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Oct 20 14:33:18 WST 1999

"Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima" wrote:

Typing over a bad modem line, are we Tony? :-)

> Now I get outta my leaguw so some of this MAY be wrong BUT I'm suer others
> like Christain and Matt will point out my errors.

Nope, you're pretty much spot on.

> It's my understanding debians _new_ (??) packcage manager/installet (apt)
> will grab ALL unstatisfied dependencies and install them as well.  You can
> easily tell apt where to get things from by editeing the "/etc/sources.list"
> (??) to point it at your nearest WAIX mirror for the stuff you need.

Yep, this also facilitates easy upgrading off a CDROM etc.  The APT
infrastructure is very flexible so you can configure it to grab the
packages from wherever is most appropriately, not only
network-geographically but also with relation to stable/frozen/unstable
classifications.  For example, you would probably point a server at the
stable distribution while your own personal workstation might aim for
bleeding edge 'unstable'.  You can also point it at distributions
containing the latest security updates and even add a cron job to
automatically install new security fixes.

Regards,

Christian.

--
1st graffitiist: QUESTION AUTHORITY!