[plug] audio cd playing problem

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 20 16:13:13 WST 1999

Bevan Broun wrote:

> Here is a funny one.
>
> I just purchaced an new cd drive, it is a 40 speed and works well except
> for playin music cds.  Most cd playing software seems to have a problem
> with the drive, either stopping after each song or skipping a track.
> xplaycd works find as does jac, xmms, amoung others, does not.
>
> I have searched deja but its a tricky one to search for. The drive is
> master on the second ide drive. Can anyone suggest a possible problem?
>
> BB
> --
> Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
> Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065
> Dept. Electrical and Electronic Engineering
> University of Western Australia                                 rm. G70

The usual setup for CD-ROM drives, assuming that you have one only CDRD is
to put it in as the second device (slave) in the 1rst IDE Channel. Your
second or third HDs are then the Master and Slave devices in the second IDE
Channel. I cannot guarantee that is the fix for your problem, but that is
the usual setup. Mind you it is not impossible to then have problems with
the two second Ide Channel drives if they are not compatible. If they are of
the same brand then you should have no problems.

Cheers Len Bird