[plug] Debian V Redhat for server

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Oct 20 14:32:04 WST 1999

> Im after some opinions for which distribution to install for a server.
> I am considering Redhat for its purported ease of use and because it
> is a relatively no-brainer install. But I have heard good things about
> Debian on this list, but I know it will take me a bit longer to
> install.
>
> My major concern would be the installation of software, where most
> packages seem to be aimed at installation on a Redhat box. Is there
> much grief associated with installing software on Debian that is aimed
> at Redhat?

If yoou're likely to install commercial software from, say, IBM, you're
probably best of with an rpm-based system. I think IBM ships for RHL,
TurboLinux, SuSe and Caldera.

RHL 6.1 has a new install program; it's reportedly very good, between
bugs. If you choose RHL 6, I suggest you drop into Dymocks @ Wesley Arcade
and get the publishers' edition with book attached. Then install anything
appropriate from the RHS update tree.

That's also where I saw the Mandrake with the extra new kernel.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield