[plug] Linux training course (some details, please read)

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Oct 21 16:21:49 WST 1999

Mark Bolton wrote:

> Well Christian,
>
> funny you should ask ... we have a setup here, at my colledge where we .. workshop
> on a subject.. what ever is burning a hole in a persons " catch this!... cache "
> ..  . ... U gotta bring yer own beer ... the guys all pitch in ....

Ummm... I didn't ask anything.

> Now Linux being all ... collegial and idealistic as they claim to be till - this
> Utopian Boffin's Egg timer goes off   ... want a hundred smackers to show U how to
> do a simple install ..  But it seems  Linux Boffs are a self apointed aristocracy
> .... want to sit at the feet of the oracle ..draw aside the veil ?

Linux being "collegial and idealistic"?  Well... if you mean "collegial"
as in relating to colleges then I don't see anything more than a
coincidental connection.  (Yes, I am trying to seriously make sense of
this message - maybe that's a mistake.)  If you mean "collegial" as in
pertaining to colleagues and you're suggesting we should idealistically
be helping each other for free then I mostly agree with you - and even
better, we _are_ helping each other for no fee.  That's what this list
is about (mostly).  It's also what numerous Linux-related IRC channels
and web pages are about.  I've been helping people for free on IRC for 3
years now and I know people who've been doing it even longer.  I've
never seen invoices flying about on #linux yet.

Now I'm not a boffin on Utopia like yourself but you seem very confused
about some things entirely unconnected with Utopia that have been
mentioned recently.  Firstly, the "hundred smackers" this course costs
are not to do a "simple install".  It's an install and then what sounds
like a fairly comprehensive introduction to managing the newly installed
system.  BTW, I have absolutely nothing to do with the running of this
course - I haven't been at all involved in organising it, I won't be
tutoring in it and thus I'd quite surprised if any of the proceeds for
it somehow turned up in my possession.

The "Linux Boffs" are not a "self appointed aristocracy".  People with
expertise are offering a service they think people would like and they
are charging money for it - rather common in this society I believe!  If
you have a problem with this arrangement there are societies where
things are a little different.

> possibly some kinda Golden Aeroplane ... ?

Possibly.  But since I don't have a clue what you're going on about now
I can't comment further.

> Any U guys Buy stocks in Red Hat ?

I didn't.  But I don't see that there would be a problem if I had.  If
it's a choice between little Red Hat's and little red books then I know
what I would choose.  If you think there is some philosophical problem
with making money from Free software then perhaps you should read:
	http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Regards,

Christian.

--
Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of a joy
you must have somebody to divide it with.