[plug] Linux training course ... some elaboration

Mark Bolton bolton at networx.net.au
Thu Oct 21 20:27:28 WST 1999

Dear Christian,

The point i was making was that i was appalled that a course was being run where
students on Austudy were posting enquiries as to the wisdom of  digging very deep into
very limited funds to attend a course on Linux basics.

I meant collegial in the fraternal sence and I have no problem with people whose skills
that command high prices getting some recompence for the time and effort they spent
gaining those skills as they pass them over to others.

In fact people donating thier time for no recompence at all , all of the time, will
enevitably degrade the quality of the project as it become subsumed with amatuerism .

There is an equal danger however in a Free Software project suddenly having to show pay
dirt ( the Golden Aeroplane reference) to share holders and carpet baggers.

I was wrong and do apologise for pitching my little bucket at you , it was unfair and
ill informed of me , i should have made myself a little better apraised of what was
actually on offer and your part in the picture .

What if find quaintly amusing is the zealotry of the linux fraternity and it's
sniggering at microsoft as being an " in group"  shiboleth , wher i do arc up is when
this "in groupery" becoming a vehicle for questionable merchandizing at the newbie level

If there were forinstance a "slab of beer " fee for unwaged and students I would have no
problem with the whole concept.  I would suggest however that unwaged and students
newbies are already quite happy with thier own resources.

Regards Mark