[plug] decent INTEL SMP boxes in Perth?

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Oct 22 16:30:02 WST 1999

I have to agree with the points made re reliability for production systems -
at least one of the 4 (?) systems would be used in a mission critical
situation.
Useful info for a home system though since I'll be upgrading once the price
of memory
comes back down to earth.

We're in the fortunate position to be able to afford a bit higher end processor
(if I spend the money before someone else snaffles it) - probably Xeon
550's with
512 K cache.

I discovered that the secondary cache size makes a HUGE difference in the
price of these critters
eg very rough pricing -

	xeon 550 MHz 512k cache ~ $2,000 tax inc
        xeon 550 MHz 1M cache   ~ $5,000 (lots of variation here, due to
different kits?)
        xeon 500 MHz 2M cache   ~ $11,000 ex tax - ouch!

cheers,

Dave.