[plug] modem lock file

Stephen Smart sinister at servcom.net.au
Wed Oct 27 10:22:32 WST 1999

Hello all, my name is Stephen Smart and Ive been living in Perth for
about two years. All my friends call me Max, and Im trying to learn
Linux. Ive been a casual computer user for about ten years, starting
with dos and going through the rest of them Windows 3.1, 95, 98 nt4 and
recently I got 2000 and had a play with that.
I got Linux about a week ago and until then had never seen it, so Im
about as new to it as you can get.
Now for the first of what will probably be a lot of problems for me,
I created an account to use and when in there I try connecting to the
net and get an error message "cant create modem lock file" I brought Red

Hat 6 witch comes with a support cd and the Linux pocket book and I went

and brought another book Red Hat Linux by harold Davis but I cant find
anything in either book. Everything I have read so far says if you dont
know what your doing (thats me) dont play around in root.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers Max