[plug] modem lock file

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Oct 27 12:02:49 WST 1999

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Stephen Smart wrote:

> I got Linux about a week ago and until then had never seen it, so Im
> about as new to it as you can get.

Hello Max and welcome. You'll find Linux very easy and be an expert in a
few weeks.
  Would you believe a few months?  OK, two years of intense study.

May we ask what attracted you to Linux?
Are you keen to look under the bonnet and learn how it works, take control
of your machine? Thats where Linux works best.

> net and get an error message "cant create modem lock file" I brought Red

You'll need to tell more. What was the full error message (it should say
which program)?  How were you trying to connect? ie what command or
program were you using?

The error is probably from 'pppd'. Type "man pppd" to learn about it.
Maybe give it root privileges with "chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd".

> anything in either book. Everything I have read so far says if you dont
> know what your doing (thats me) dont play around in root.

That makes sense in an office, when you have a sysadmin. But at home,
just be aware that its dangerous, and only use root when needed.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--