[plug] help again

Tony Clark tony at ballist.net.au
Fri Oct 29 00:09:30 WST 1999

dunno why I replied to this but here goes

Stephen Smart wrote:

> hi all
> Im going to do install Number? (I cant remember, Ive only had My Linux cd a week
> and I think Im wearing it out already)
> Im feeling a little guilty after the reading the post by Alex Polglaze on the
> course avaliable, but I cant afford it at the moment so I will ask for help
> once again.
> My system
> PIII 450
> 10 gig h/d
> 128 ram
> 40x cdrom
> 4x2x2 (I think) writer
> 12 meg onboard tnt riva video card
> sound blaster pci awe 64 sound card
> canon canoscan fb 320p scanner
> hp laserjet 4000 series printer
> direct com 56k external modem
> 56k internal win modem

bastard...your computer is better than mine

> I want to be able to send and receive e-mail, browse the web and download and
> use programs like ICQ and mirc (my mother is in Adelaide and would kill me if I
> couldnt chat anymore) other than that, at the moment I just want the basic
> programs installed
> could someone please put the X where it is appropriate
> - - hardware clock set to gmt
> each time I reboot I get a different time, sometimes eight hours ahead
>
> where do you want to install the bootloader
> - - /dev? master boot record

Thats where you want it

> choose components to install
> - - printer support

Got a printer=yes

> - - X window system
forall=yes

> - - Gnome
maybe
> - - kde
I prefer
> - - mail/www/news tools
Not really as kde will do all you want

> - - dos/windows connectivity

got a dos box..no...well no

> - - file managers
could come in handy  mc is good

> - - graphics manipulation
dunno nothing..but it won't hurt

> - - console games
ditto above

> - - X games

ditto above the above

> - - console multimedia
yep...another ditto..

> - - X multimedia

Well your young so you will want this

> - - networked workstation

are there more than one?

> - - dialup workstation

Yes if you want to connect to the internet

> - - news server

nah

> - - nfs server

not really

> - - smb (samba) connectivity

why

> - - anonymous ftp server

you want people to leech from you

> - - web server
you got something worth showing

> - - dns name sever
cache only...yeah go for it

> - - postgres (sql) server

you want a database?

> - - network management workstation

can come in handy

> - - tex document formatting

Well not in your case

> - - emacs

Ohhh..depends if your a sucker for punishment

> - - emacs with X windows

ditto above but lookes better

> - - c developement

Not at this stage

> - - developement libraries

ditto

> - - c++ developement

ditto

> - - Gnome developement

ditto

> - - kernel developement

ditto

> - - extra documentation

yes yes yes  :)

> - - everything

why not....your got a big disk from memory

> What services should be automatically started

> - - apmd
ok
> - - atd
ok
> - - crond
ya goto have that

> - - gpm

mice do come in handy sometimes..out of X

> - - http

Look good and serve the world

> - - inet

yeah...

> - - innd
Noooooooooooooooo

> - - keytable

Yeah...................

> - - linuxconf

You need all the help you can get  :)

> - - lpd

got a printer

> - - mars-nwe

Nah

> - - named
yeah

> - - netfs
better

> - - network

depends

> - - nfs
depends
> - - pcmcia

is it a laptop

> - - portmap

more than one computer here

> - - random

why not

> - - routed
why

> - - rstatd

who cares

> - - rusersd

ditto
> - - rwhod

ditto

> - - sendmail

well almost ditto

> - - sound

yeah

> - - syslog
goto have that

> - - ypbind
nah not tonight

> A big ask I know, but I dont know anyone that uses Linux or I would ask them.
> Cheers Max
>
> When i read about the evil's of drinking
> I gave up reading.

Hey you aint even started that yet...hic

--
System Administrator
Ballistics BBS and Internet Service