[plug] help again

Stephen Smart sinister at servcom.net.au
Fri Oct 29 05:01:36 WST 1999

hi all
Im going to do install Number? (I cant remember, Ive only had My Linux cd a week
and I think Im wearing it out already)
Im feeling a little guilty after the reading the post by Alex Polglaze on the
course avaliable, but I cant afford it at the moment so I will ask for help
once again.
My system
PIII 450
10 gig h/d
128 ram
40x cdrom
4x2x2 (I think) writer
12 meg onboard tnt riva video card
sound blaster pci awe 64 sound card
canon canoscan fb 320p scanner
hp laserjet 4000 series printer
direct com 56k external modem
56k internal win modem

I want to be able to send and receive e-mail, browse the web and download and
use programs like ICQ and mirc (my mother is in Adelaide and would kill me if I
couldnt chat anymore) other than that, at the moment I just want the basic
programs installed
could someone please put the X where it is appropriate
- - hardware clock set to gmt
each time I reboot I get a different time, sometimes eight hours ahead

where do you want to install the bootloader
- - /dev? master boot record
- - /dev? first sector of boot partiton

choose components to install
- - printer support
- - X window system
- - Gnome
- - kde
- - mail/www/news tools
- - dos/windows connectivity
- - file managers
- - graphics manipulation
- - console games
- - X games
- - console multimedia
- - X multimedia
- - networked workstation
- - dialup workstation
- - news server
- - nfs server
- - smb (samba) connectivity
- - anonymous ftp server
- - web server
- - dns name sever
- - postgres (sql) server
- - network management workstation
- - tex document formatting
- - emacs
- - emacs with X windows
- - c developement
- - developement libraries
- - c++ developement
- - Gnome developement
- - kernel developement
- - extra documentation
- - everything

What services should be automatically started
- - apmd
- - atd
- - crond
- - gpm
- - http
- - inet
- - innd
- - keytable
- - linuxconf
- - lpd
- - mars-nwe
- - named
- - netfs
- - network
- - nfs
- - pcmcia
- - portmap
- - random
- - routed
- - rstatd
- - rusersd
- - rwhod
- - sendmail
- - sound
- - syslog
- - ypbind
A big ask I know, but I dont know anyone that uses Linux or I would ask them.
Cheers Max

When i read about the evil's of drinking
I gave up reading.