[plug] RH6 shutdown problem

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Sep 1 21:23:05 WST 1999

Len Bird wrote:

> The word was HEARSAY meaning it was a furphy from a third party without
> substance-----and moreover he is still wrong -----try it for yourself,

Moreover, I'm not. :-)

This is really rather stupid since my original point was that you could
have just looked it up in the manual and didn't need to post the
question to the list to the list.  Your response was that it wasn't in
the manual and I was virtually 100% positive that this wasn't the case.
Unfortunately I didn't have access to a Red Hat 6.0 machine (I don't run
it and no one I know really well runs it) so I couldn't _prove_ this.

Anyway, you kept this thing going long enough for me to grab a temporary
account on a Red Hat box so...

ophelia:~$ telnet <hostname removed>
Trying <address removed>...
Connected to <yep this one is gone too>.
Escape character is '^]'.

Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.12 on an i586
login: christian
Password:
[christian at localhost christian]$ man apmd
APMD(8)             Linux Programmer's Manual             APMD(8)

NAME
       apmd - Advanced Power Management (APM) BIOS daemon

SYNOPSIS
       apmd [ -vVuW ] [ -p percent_change ] [ -w warn_percent ]

DESCRIPTION
       apmd  is  an APM BIOS monitoring daemon.  It will log, via
       syslogd(2), changes in APM power status (e.g., on  or  off
       AC  power,  discharging  or  charging  battery).  When the
       available battery power  becomes  very  low,  it  can  use
       wall(1)  to  alert  all users on the system.  When the APM
       BIOS notifies the daemon of a pending suspend  or  standby
       request,  apmd will call sync(2), sleep for 2 seconds, and
       then tell the APM BIOS to continue its operation.  When  a
       critical resume occurs, apmd will make a feable attempt to
       reset the clock.

<-- and a lot more useful info snipped -->

Now... this should have answered your original question as to what
"apmd" was - and guess what - the manual page was there!  Now, either
you have the manual page sitting there:

[christian at localhost christian]$ locate apmd|grep man
/usr/man/man8/apmd.8

...and somehow you missed it...

...or it's (I originally thought) possible that maybe you just hadn't
installed the package with manual pages (I don't know how Red Hat
arranges these things) except:
[christian at localhost christian]$ rpm -q -f /usr/man/man8/apmd.8
apmd-3.0beta5-7

So, if you had apmd installed then you would also have the manual page.
Which goes back to what I originally said.

(Incidentally, since I don't run Red Hat, I didn't know which options to
use with rpm to check what package a file belonged to - I looked it up
in the manual.)

Regards,

Christian.

--
Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!