[plug] censorship in australia

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 2 17:17:08 WST 1999

Garth Atkinson wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> > Garth Atkinson wrote:

<snip>

> You didnt mention any of these issues in your first post!!! You inserted
> in the body of your email a three page report from newswire (?). Why not
> just insert the link to the report?

<snip>
The message that I first posted, included two articles; one from newswire, and
the other from The Australian. They were posted, to provide more information
about the initial message in the thread, and to show what had been reported
within Australia on the matter, apart from what had been published overseas.

The links to the reports were not included by themselves, as the issue of doing
that has been previously raised, and I understand that just providing the links,
rather than the content, would have resulted in two problems; the first that
people have stated that they are not inclined to just follow links, and the
second that links do not always work.

Thus, I posted the material of the articles.

I posted the links, to indicate the source, so that, if any reader of the
material wanted to verify the material was published, they could so do, by
following the links (providing the links worked).

I did not raise the issues to which you referred, in my first posting on the
thread, as I had assumed that the more knowledgeable on the mailing list might
have made some comments that might have related to those issues.

My knowledge is such that I can question, and possibly not much more, validly,
but, if I tied the mailing list up with questions about such things, rather than
posting the material and waiting for comments, the mailing list would get
flooded with questions, and it would probably annoy the guru's too much, so I
believe it is better to throw the excrement on the mailing list, and wait for
them to comment on the stink, and describe the effects of the offensive
legislation and proposals. ( I dislike using metaphors - they stink!)

Bret Busby