[plug] Beastie Linux Server ...

Bill Cullen billc at wantree.com.au
Thu Sep 2 21:42:45 WST 1999

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> We are evaluating shifting our main webserver(s) to an Intel/Linux solution.
> What are peoples reccomendations for hardware with good reliability, speed,
> and Linux support??
>
> We are looking at a SMP solution (Dual PIII's most likely), with Hardware RAID
> ... Our Hardware/sysadmin guy is currently researching RAID cards (UDMA66, etc
> ...)

You could try Compaq or HP - maybe even Dell. I think HP might offer
Linux support on some of it's boxes, although it probably won't be
cheap. I don't know if I would touch IBM - wasn't impressed with
some IBM servers I installed a few years ago. I also haven't been
overly impressed by the Digital stuff I've seen.

HP and Compaq tend to do well at the larger companies - ones that
don't mind paying a higher purchase price for the extra support
available.

One thing to watch - Compaq (a few years ago) used to stop their
dealers from offering discount on their servers. I don't know if
this is still the case but if it is and the TPC can prove it
Compaq could be looking at a few fines.

If you want reliable tape drives look at DLT. They are expensive
but I've had too many problems with DAT drives to ever trust them
again.

Also make sure that your RAID controller and NIC are well supported
under Linux.

Bill