[plug] System security

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 14:12:39 WST 1999

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:57:35PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Jamie Moir wrote:
> > no thanks for sending me a heap of misformatted crap, I dont quite
> > understand what the point you are pushing here is, citing the url is
> > useful I guess, filling my mail with fat juicy pages of screwed text
> > isnt
> >
> > please desist
> >
> > Jamie Moir
>
> This has previously been discussed.
>
> Read the messages. Go back through the archives, and do a bit of
> research, if you are interested.
[ snip ]
> That complaint has been made, and predates the complaint about the text
> formatting.

Just a suggestion -

I can understand including the text as well as the link and have absolutely
no objection to you doing so (as long as it's not too many megabytes in
size :). However, the formatting screwup is annoying, which I'm sure
you're aware of, and I suspect that Jamie and any others who find including
the text objectionable would be far less concerned if it was neat and
readable.

Anyway, I'm sure you're already aware of all that. I notice you use
Netscape mail - I'd just like to point out that reformatting text like that
in Vim is very easy.

0. Open Vim.
1. Paste text into Vim session.
2. :%s/^[ \t]*//         (removes whitespace at the start of lines)
3. :set textwidth=70     (or some other suitable column length)
4. Use 'V' to highlight all the lines, then  type 'gq'. The paragraphs
   should now be nicely formatted.
5. Paste back into NSMail (or whatever other mail client thou usesth)

I'm sure the fmt(1) command can also be used in a similar fashion, but I'm
not familiar with it.

> Bret Busby

Hope you find that useful.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
PRINCE:    He's come to rescue me, father.
LAUNCELOT: (embarrassed) Well, let's not jump to conclusions ...