[plug] Any Zope users out there?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 3 14:59:37 WST 1999

Can someone please explain (comparatively) the roles of Zope, Python, Tcl, Perl,
PHP, etc, in web pages?

I believe that I have a little understanding of the role of PHP; in that it can
extract system information, and information from databases, which information
can then be displayed using HTML, in web pages. Also, from what I understand,
PHP requires that the web server be PHP enabled, and does all the processing on
the web server, and does not require a browser to be PHP enabled, wherease
Javascript does the processing at the client end, and requires the browser to be
Javscript enabled.

However, I do not understand how all the other applications and scripting
languages relate to each other, or compare with each other.

I am not sure whether this is sufficiently involved to make it require either a
tutorial session, or otherwise a session at the UCC meetings, but I would like
to know the comparative roles and relationships.

Also, out of interest, I understand that Cold Fusion is supposed to be ported to
Linux in the not to distant future. I have just checked the allaire.com web
site, and noticed that Cold Fusion is available for HP-UX and Solaris.

Thanks.

Bret Busby