[plug] wget query

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 3 16:49:05 WST 1999

GB wrote:

> If wget doesn't work for him, how can it be faster?
>
> Like I said, Netscape works for me on Linux RH6.. On the same ftp site!!
>
> It might work for him too..
>
> Garry.

I am currently using the -r switch, which recursively downloads subdirectories,
and the -c and -nc switches, which allow continuation without overwriting, to
download.

As far as I am aware, Netscape does not have provision for this functionality.

wget creates the directories and sub-directories as it downloads.

I am also not aware of Netscape having that functionality.

To use Netscape to download files is useful, but, as far as I am aware, it can
only download single files, manually, whereas wget downloads web sites,
recursively, including the directory structures, and can check for updates,
using the appropriate switches. It can do this, by  running a single command at
the commandline prompt, and either leaving the machine, to make full use of the
available bandwidth for that purpose, and using the time for other things, while
it is downloading, or, just letting it run in one login session, while doing
other things in another login session. This way, as opposed to running it in the
bacground, in the same login session, enables occasional moitoring of what it is
doing, and the progress.

It is not the ftp web site that I had the problem with; it is the other source
of materials, some of which are not on the ftp site.

I can explain the meaning of that further, off the mailing list, if wanted,
Garry.

I am responding to this in this message, on the mailing list, to indicate the
functionality of wget.

It is quite useful; except where a path includes extended ASCII characters, such
as the tilde.

Then, it appears, the files have to be downloaded manually and singly.

If I am wrong in any of this, or, if anyone knows how to get around the tilde
problem, constructive advice would be appreciated.

Bret Busby