[plug] wget query

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sat Sep 4 00:22:24 WST 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Bret Busby wrote:
> What I get, using wget -r is only the "index.html" in the directory
> below the tilde level, and not the sub-directories.
I hope you don't expect it to grab all the files in that directy - http
doesn't work that way. What you should be able to do with wget is to get
all of the files which are linked from that index.html page. There is no
way of wget to even find out the contents of the directory, if there is an
index.html file in there.

> I am currently doing a download on an ftp site, which doesn't use the
> tilde in its paths.
FTP is different - you can find out exactly what is in the directory,
regardless of what filenames are in it.

> I'll see what happens. So far, the tilde has inhibited the downloads
> using wget, but I'll try and see what I can do.
I don't think the tilde is the least related, if it is a directory listing
you are after.

-Greg