[plug] wget query

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 4 00:38:22 WST 1999

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Bret Busby wrote:
> > What I get, using wget -r is only the "index.html" in the directory
> > below the tilde level, and not the sub-directories.
> I hope you don't expect it to grab all the files in that directy - http
> doesn't work that way. What you should be able to do with wget is to get
> all of the files which are linked from that index.html page. There is no
> way of wget to even find out the contents of the directory, if there is an
> index.html file in there.
>
> > I am currently doing a download on an ftp site, which doesn't use the
> > tilde in its paths.
> FTP is different - you can find out exactly what is in the directory,
> regardless of what filenames are in it.
>
> > I'll see what happens. So far, the tilde has inhibited the downloads
> > using wget, but I'll try and see what I can do.
> I don't think the tilde is the least related, if it is a directory listing
> you are after.
>
> -Greg

I have managed to use wget -r and later wget -r -c -nc , to download another,
less important http web site, without any problems, with the full recursive
download.

I had used the other web site as an experiment, using the different switches,
and it worked okay.

The only factor that I found, that appeared to be different, and therefore that
I assumed to be the cause, is the tilde in the path names.

Thus, I assumed that the tilde is the problem.

Bret Busby