[plug] Multiport serial cards in Perth metro area?

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Mon Sep 6 16:52:15 WST 1999

While in Tang the other day I noticed they had 4 port serial cards on their
shelves.

My experience with 4 port cards has been good.  I inherited a couple of old
Allaw 4 port cards a while ago, and while I don't use them now, they ran well
under Linux  (ie 115200 bps, 16550A UARTS).  Allaw (based in Sydney) were kind
enough to send me the Linux setserial initialisation scripts, and these worked
first time.  I didn't install both of the cards I had in the one machine, but I
don't recall any limitations on the number of cards you could install.

Of course with these low-end serial interface cards you are stuck with ISA
interface and with modern motherboards this could be a limitation.

Colin Rothnie