[plug] BitchX help

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 7 22:01:17 WST 1999

> I'm trying to install BitchX on my shell account. here's wat happens,
> any ideas?
>
> bash-2.03$ tar -zxvf BitchX-75p3-FreeBSD-3.x-i386.tgz
> BitchX
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
> tar: child returned status 1

2 possibilities come to mind:

1) When you downloaded the .tgz file (by ftp?) you forgot to set
   binary mode (rather than ascii).
2) Maybe the download was not completed.

More than likely, it's some variant of 1).

The first step tar zxvf performs is a gunzip (which is where it
failed first) the output of which it pipes through tar xvf ...
since gunzip failed, tar xvf doesn't get very far ...

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>