[plug] RH6 shutdown problem

Peter Smith hedrek at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 20:32:30 WST 1999

I recently installed RH6. Installation went ok. At end of installation I
re-booted,as required. All works ok. Then I give the shutdown command. No
problem. Then I try to re-boot. Big trouble!!! Linux boots up to the login
section, then the screen starts flickering for a while. Then I get a screen
that says the following:
Localhost Login: According to /var/run/gdm.pid,gdm was already running(94),
but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.
This msg is repeated all down the screen, with a different No. in brackets
after each msg.
Then at the bottom of the screen there is the following:
INIT:id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

After 5 min or so, the process starts all over!.
PLEASE, can someone help me here? I am extremely Linux challenged and have
no idea how to gain access to my Linux os again. If anyone answers this,
please try and make it simple, I am NOT an experienced user. Thanking yo in
advance,

Peter Cooper

May the great god of Lotto smile kindly upon you.