[plug] RH6 shutdown problem

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Sep 9 21:10:32 WST 1999

> I recently installed RH6. Installation went ok. At end of installation I
> re-booted,as required. All works ok. Then I give the shutdown command. No
> problem. Then I try to re-boot. Big trouble!!! Linux boots up to the login
> section, then the screen starts flickering for a while. Then I get a screen
> that says the following:
> Localhost Login: According to /var/run/gdm.pid,gdm was already running(94),
> but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.
> This msg is repeated all down the screen, with a different No. in brackets
> after each msg.
> Then at the bottom of the screen there is the following:
> INIT:id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
>
> After 5 min or so, the process starts all over!.
> PLEASE, can someone help me here? I am extremely Linux challenged and have
> no idea how to gain access to my Linux os again. If anyone answers this,
> please try and make it simple, I am NOT an experienced user. Thanking yo in
> advance,
>
> Peter Cooper

At the lilo prompt, say
linux 3

This will make it boot into a character-mode console.

Login as root;
[root at possum summer]# cd /var/gdm/
[root at possum gdm]# ls -l
total 6
-rw-r--r--   1 root     gdm          4455 Sep  6 14:53 :0.log
-rw-r-----   1 root     gdm            66 Sep  6 14:53 :0.xauth
[root at possum gdm]#

Take a look at :0.log
[root at possum gdm]# less :0.log
[root at possum gdm]#

If its contents don't make sense, post its contents to the list.

You could also do this:
rm -f /var/run/gdm.pid,gdm

I do recall the problem; I do not recall how I fixed it.

If yoy want to, you can use the startx command to get to a GUI

--
Cheers
John Summerfield