[plug] help: SCSI devices and locking

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Sep 10 14:08:18 WST 1999

I've been lurking on this list long enough to ask a question, I think.

I have a SCSI CD-R writer on a linux box here.  Yesterday I started to
burn a CD with cdrecord, realised that the image wasn't quite right, and
killed cdrecord with control-c.  But the scsi drive stayed locked.
cdrecord wouldn't talk to it anymore.  cdrecord and eject got stuck in
non-interruptable I/O (I presume) and couldn't be killed.  There were
continuous console messages (every ten seconds or so) that looked like

  scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 88572, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
  (scsi0:0:6:-1) Unexpected busfree, LASTPHASE = 0x80, SEQADDR = 0x154

cat /proc/scsi/scsi says

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-R   CW-7502   Rev: 4.16
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The SCSI adapter is "Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter".

The box has stock RH6, kernel 2.2.5.

Eventually I got around the problem by rebooting, but it wasn't my first
option, as the box is providing other services as well, and it spoilt the
uptime. :-)  And it _shouldn't_ be necessary.  I could open the drive
physically with a paper clip, but this had no other effect,

I have checked the SCSI-HOWTO, CD-HOWTO and CD-Writing-HOWTO, and apropos
scsi doesn't suggest anything. Any suggestions or pointers to information
gratefully received.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
I like your game but we have to change the rules.