[plug] help: SCSI devices and locking

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Sep 10 14:40:30 WST 1999

> killed cdrecord with control-c.  But the scsi drive stayed locked.
> cdrecord wouldn't talk to it anymore.  cdrecord and eject got stuck in
> non-interruptable I/O (I presume) and couldn't be killed.  There were
> continuous console messages (every ten seconds or so) that looked like
>
>   scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 88572, scsi0, channel 0, id 6,
>  lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>   (scsi0:0:6:-1) Unexpected busfree, LASTPHASE = 0x80, SEQADDR = 0x154
>
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi says
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-R   CW-7502   Rev: 4.16
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> The SCSI adapter is "Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter".
>
> The box has stock RH6, kernel 2.2.5.
>
> Eventually I got around the problem by rebooting, but it wasn't my first
> option, as the box is providing other services as well, and it spoilt the
> uptime. :-)  And it _shouldn't_ be necessary.  I could open the drive
> physically with a paper clip, but this had no other effect,

Don't do it again; I suspect this is something you will have to live with.
Sounds a bit like this:
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success
[summer at possum summer]$

which is an IDE drive that has, I think, fallen off its last leg. It's
been in that state for several weeks now; the drive's not critical for
normal operations, though I will need it when I have to reboot - my
kernel's on it.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield