[plug] help: SCSI devices and locking

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Sep 10 14:52:04 WST 1999

Russell Steicke wrote:

> I've been lurking on this list long enough to ask a question, I think.
>
> I have a SCSI CD-R writer on a linux box here.  Yesterday I started to
> burn a CD with cdrecord, realised that the image wasn't quite right, and
> killed cdrecord with control-c.  But the scsi drive stayed locked.
> cdrecord wouldn't talk to it anymore.  cdrecord and eject got stuck in
> non-interruptable I/O (I presume) and couldn't be killed.  There were
> continuous console messages (every ten seconds or so) that looked like

In my "LIMITED" experience with SCSI CD-Writers (Which is all good
really)
I have found they don't often like being interrupted during a write by
having thier dataflow terminated. There is a SCSI command to abort the
write, and this makes them happy.
I would hazard a guess that cdwrite does not gracefully terminate the
write upon being terminated itself, midwrite.
I have been able to "solve" the problem of a locked up drive, by power
cycling the drive only, not the box.
Just pull the cable and plug it back in again..
as a disclaimer, I have NEVER damaged a bit of pc gear by doing this
and that is a LOT of hot plugging in the last 10 years or so..
but YOU may not be so lucky.. be carefull.

YMMV
Brad..