[plug] floppies

russ russ at powerstech.com
Mon Sep 13 13:54:22 WST 1999

Hope nobody minds, I'll try to consolidate this.

> whats in your /etc/fstab ? Should be like:
> /dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     vfat    noauto,user,gid=11,umask=002   0 0

/dev/fd0        /floppy     auto    rw,auto,user   0 0

I use dos and linux disks so I thought I'd let mount figure out for
itself.

> A shell has /floppy as its current directory?  Try "fuser /dev/fd0".

If I can get it to not work again I will. I've rebooted since it
happened to get it to work.

> Have you changed floppies since mounting?

No, the problem started when I first tried to mount it.

> Are there any kernel messages? (tail /var/log/messages)

I don't see any. Searched for fd and floppy.

> Instead of mounting, I find it much easier to use mtools for DOS floppies,
> but some disagree. See mtools(1).

I use linux disks also, don't know if this would be a problem.

> Does the dmesg command show anything interesting? Lost modules?

I've rebooted to fix it so I think I've lost the boot messages from
when the error occurred. I didn't see anything in the current dmesg.

> Do you have the appropriate filesystem support compiled into your
> kernel? (or, if they're modules, are they being loaded correctly?).

I believe so, but this belief is purely based on the fact mounting dos
and linux floppies usually works.

I'm building an application under linux which I copy onto a dos floppy
to use on a dos machine eprom programmer. So I'm mounting and
umounting dozens of times per day. Usually with no problem.

Could it be an application trying to mount a linux floppy assuming it
is a dos floppy? I've noticed it seems to usually happen when I'm
using midnight commander. I tend to have a lot of floppies without
labels so I may sometimes stick a linux floppy in thinking it's a dos
disk.