[plug] Window position

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 17 18:53:29 WST 1999

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 05:53:16PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
> what you need to know about here is "X11 resources", and in particular
> the 'geometry' resource.
[...]

You can find out about this from the "X" man page - "man X".

Mike's mentioned how to set the defaults, and most good X programs will
also take a "-geometry" parameter.

However, all this manual setting aside, the window manager has input into
all this when the geometry _isn't_ specified and I think some window
managers can let you override the geometries if a program insists on
asking for something irritating.

In Windowmaker (and everything else) this is all configurable - start
the WPrefs (probably already on your dock) and have a browse through
the settings. Your "Placement Origin" is probably not (0,0) - might be
(64,64), for example. Additionally, the placement policy can be Automatic
(try to minimise overlap?), Random, Manual (you can place each window
with the mouse as it opens, like default twm?) or Cascade.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal