[plug] Trivial Message from Qmail

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Sep 19 10:50:56 WST 1999

Hi,

This is from memory, I ran qmail on a box at a different workplace for a
while as I found it _much_ easier to understand and administer than
sendmail.

qmail names messages by their inode number, I think this is to ensure that
the names in the queue directories are unique.  In the example it's 53, in
your test it's inode 1756430.  Nothing to worry about.  One thing that's
slightly confusing is that if there's not a lot of activity on the
filesystem that /var/qmail/ is on, all your messages will tend to have the
same numbers.

The numbers like 937679238.126089 are timestamps, in unix seconds and
milliseconds.  Try 'date +%s'.  qmail uses something called accustamp
(acculog, perhaps?) for timestamping, also by Dan Bernstein.  Perhaps the
example in TEST.deliver was from an earlier version.  Are you installing
1.03?

I really recommend qmail.  Once you get into the mindset, which is quite
different to sendmail, it's a pleasure to administer.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
I've been in more laps than a napkin.